"now at the age of fifty-three one scarcely needed people any more. Life itself, every moment of it, every drop of it, here, this instant, now, in the sun, in Regent's park, was enough."
Peter Walsh is one of my favorite characters thus far in Mrs. Dalloway. He is emotionally uncertain and nostalgic about his past and things he cannot have. At this point he is leaving the park and contemplating his former love and loss of Clarissa and then admits to himself that he still hold onto these feelings, however he will not and cannot be hurt again. This quote is significant because it brings time and emotions together and really exemplifies the cliche "time heals all wounds." Although he thinks he still has these feelings, the memories he has are enough to fulfill him at this point in his life, he is beyond being hurt and can now live through his memories. I think this also relates to his relationship with the married Daisy. He is longing to relive these memories by pursuing and loving a women he cannot have.
I really like Peter too! I feel like he is a really relatable character. I agree with you that even though he has such strong feelings about the past and his love of Clarissa, he's not willing to sabotage his life for those feelings.
ReplyDelete