Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mrs. Dalloway

I really like this book so far. I had a hard time deciding on what to write about for this, but one thing I find really compelling is how the characters, at least it seems to me, have adopted the opposite gender's stereotypical behaviors and roles. For example, Peter is extremely moody, passionate, and sensitive. He reflects constantly on the behavior of other characters and himself. He sees Clarissa as cold and emotionless. Richard Dalloway is somewhat nervous and regards Lady Burton with the same respect he would give a man. Septimus plays out the role of the mentally ill female quarantined away. I'm interested to see how these characters progress.

3 comments:

  1. Furthermore, we find out that Clarissa thought she might have been romantically in love with one of her closest friends, and Lady Burton has the reputation of talking like a man. As for the other gender roles, I agree entirely! I feel as though this entire book pokes fun at the stereotypical gender ideals, how they can be altered, and what image they create if they do, in fact, not meet within the lines of these stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also felt as if the novel challenged gender roles. Peter tends to portray a female role more than some of the women in the novel. At times he can be annoying because he is so moody and sensitive; however it's entertaining to see him behaving this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't really think of this, but now reanalyzing what I have read this makes a lot of sense. Peter is outwardly bold and rash with his emotions, while Clarissa is an internal being although, she too had felt a lot of love and loss. These roles are primarily switched in media.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.