Thursday, March 22, 2012

Voyage in the Dark

Something I found particularly interesting in this book thus far is the narrator's affinity for her homeland and her consequent dislike for this new London. On page 54, she states: "Sometimes the earth trembles; sometimes you can feel it breathe. The colours are red, purple, blue, gold, all shades of green. The colours here are black, brown, grey, dim-green, pale blue, the white of people's faces - like woodlice". I loved the description of the warm, earthy colors of the West Indies, which give her a feeling of comfort and happiness, contrasted with the dull, lifeless colors around her now, mirroring the negativity and loneliness she feels in her current home.

2 comments:

  1. I think that Anna's feelings about London are contrasted heavily to those around her. Anna loves her homeland, but when she is talking with someone about foreigners, the women is appalled by them. I thought that this was very interesting because Anna is technically a foreigner in the country. However, as much as Anna loves her home and despises London, she does not tell the woman that she is not from England. Instead, she just states that foreigners are that bad. For all of the pride that Anna has in her home, I assumed that she would have a much stronger reaction to this statement that foreigners are awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing when reading this particular passage. The narrator's tone seem to even change when describing the West Indies. Anna is not as happy being in England as she was when she was back home. Her attitude matches the dark colors that are described when talking about London. Do you think perhaps that since her mood is so dark, that maybe it reflects her actions throughout the story too?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.