I actually didn't expect to love a movie for class so much.
That was an amazing movie. I was shocked by so many things in it. I don't think I would ever have the strength that those women had. I am passionate about a lot of rights issues, but I guess I am a lot more passive than I thought. The women who fought for the right to vote are my new heros. They went through so much even when people told them it wasn't worth it. I admire that they tried to protest so peacefully, and yet they took their jail sentence, and being very violently force fed - and they never gave up their fight.
I hated the end of the movie, I felt like it was very abrupt. I would have liked to see those women actually vote for the first time, but overall I really really enjoyed it.
I agree with you completely. This movie was very moving and made me reflect on my own thoughts and actions as a women. However, I also thought they could have elaborated more at the end. I wanted to see how their lives progressed after they got suffrage (even if it was just a quick scene or two). I actually researched more on Alice Paul once I got back to see what she did after the 19th amendment. In 1923 she announced that she would be working for a new constitutional amendment ("Lucretia Mott Amendment"). This amendment called for absolute equality stating, "Men and women shall have equal rights throughout the United States and every place subject to its jurisdiction."
ReplyDeleteOverall, great movie, just wish they elaborated more at the end.