This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Tuesday, March 20, 2012
Iron Jawed Angels
After viewing "Iron Jawed Angels" this evening as part of our coursework, I must admit that I was a bit surprised by my liking of the film. As with most movies associated with course discussions, there is a negative connotation portrayed, whether intentional or not. Fortunately, this film proved to be both engaging, as well as entertaining. What I was most taken back by was the line in the film that said, "Give me justice or give me death." Though I have heard this phrase many times before, it wasn't until I saw the extent of Hillary Swank's determination that I began to understand the depths of her dream. Not only did Hillary Swank give up everything in a material sense, in her fight to end woman's suffrage, but she also gave up her sense of humanity. As she sat in a solitary jail cell, while being forced fed, she was persistent in her fight for equality. Humility is the only thing that resounded in my mind as I viewed such an extreme case of determination.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.