Monday, March 12, 2012

Mrs. Dalloway


I find myself really enjoying this reading thus far. It was a different type of writing that I was not too familiar with and it took some time to adjust, but I believe the style of the writing really sets the tone and allows the reader to experience different viewpoints. One character I took great interest in was Clarissa. I find it difficult to really understand who Clarissa really is because I don’t think she is aware of her own identity. Although in the beginning her surroundings appear busy, I think Clarissa is sinking in loneliness and simply going with the flow of life. Because she wonders the purpose of life, I don’t think she knows what true happiness is. I also found it interesting that this reading takes place during a war. The war could represent Clarissa’s fear of facing people and life head on and rather stay back in a sheltered and protected way of living. I still don’t understand why Clarissa strives for so much internal privacy. I kept making the connection to the quote “Your thoughts can be your own worst enemy” so I continue to wonder whether this need and want for privacy will result in her finding the deeper meaning of life (resulting in happiness) or if it will drive her to madness.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that at the start of the book I had to take some time to adjust to the writing style that Virginia Woolf employed.I had to get used to her unique attention to a steady stream of consciousness in her characters, yet now realize how vital it is in the understanding of Mrs. Dalloway herself. It is interesting that you pointed to her feelings of loneliness as she is preparing to throw a large social party. She seems to think that none of her guest actually know who she is and understand her, which is a sign of loneliness. Her thoughts range all over the place and it is because of this that the quote you pulled from the text takes on a powerful meaning. I am also interested to see where this goes.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.