This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Monday, March 26, 2012
Voyage In The Dark - Part II
I was struck in this section of reading by Walter's comments on Vincent's girlfriend Germaine. On page 87, Walter and Anna are talking about Germaine, and he says, "she's old". When Anna replies, "I bet she isn't any older than Vincent", Walter says, "Well, that is old for a woman. Besides, she'll be blowsy in another year; she's that type." I then looked up "blowsy", which is used to refer mostly to women who are "coarse, untidy, and red-faced", I am assuming as they get older in age. Although Germaine seems a relatively unimportant character plot-wise, this part just frustrated me, because even though the two are the same age, Germaine is looked down upon over Vincent. The men of these chapters often refer to women's ages, and it is clear that they like to have a "young lady" around and cast her off when she is not longer as appealing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I was thinking the same thing when I read this part. I couldn't help but think when someone said in class that this is a portrayal of modern day's "sugar daddy." The young women that these men carry on their arm is ultimately a way to maintain their reputation so naturally it makes sense that they want a younger woman to lavishes gifts in return for her company or sexual favors. I just find it interesting that their idea of "old" seems very young in my personal opinion. It actually seems creepy to me. I still find it weird that Walter doesn't reveal his age to Anna and she's okay with not knowing.
ReplyDelete