Sunday, March 18, 2012

Mrs.Dalloway

Ok so of course similar to everyone else I'm going to discuss Septimus committing suicide. I was very shock to see him do this to himself. I did not fully understand as to why he would kill himself.  I am starting to see from a lot of the novels which we have been reading that committing suicide it very common, I would like to know during this time period was committing suicide common? Because I believe Septimus committing suicide represented something but I am just not so sure as what it represent?

2 comments:

  1. I also have the same confusion as you Chauntay. I am very curious as to why basically all the novels we have read have to end with a character committing suicide. Why is it such a trend? I did not think that Septimus would be the one to commit suicide in this novel. Not only did he actually commit suicide but earlier in the novel Clarissa talked about thoughts of suicide so this seems to be a reoccurring thought in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not surprised that Septimus committed suicide, but was extremely shocked when Clarissa identified with him. As I was reading I also started noticing the recurring theme of suicide, but don't understand why it is so common within our literature. I was also curious if it had something to do with the time period.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.