Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Iron Jawed Angels- Emily Armstrong

I found the film “Iron Jawed Angels” to be extremely intriguing. Prior to our discussions in class I hadn’t known of the details of the women’s suffrage movement, such as Alice Paul’s imprisonment or the hunger strike that took place after. These small, but gripping details were one’s that were powerfully portrayed in the film and I felt an astonishing amount of respect for these women who literally put their lives on the line for all of the women of the future. One part of “Iron Jawed Angels” that I felt was unique was their choice in music to accompany the story. Many of the songs were contemporary and modern pieces by artists that I recognized. I feel that this musical choice was deliberate in the eyes of the movie maker to cause the film to resonate more with the modern audience that would be viewing it. This was a task that I feel was successfully accomplished because the scenes became all the more powerful when they had a familiar and influential song to add to the emotion of the moment.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the same thing you did about the music! It was so unique and unexpected, but added a cool twist to the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I found it interesting that most of the use of music was nondiegetic and contemporary, but it struck me as anacronistic. I think it detracted from the story a little, even though it may have made it more appealing to an audience today.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.