Saturday, March 10, 2012

Mrs. Dalloway Pt 1- [Minori Wisti]

One interesting part of this book so far was in reading about Clarissa's relationship with Sally Seton. First, it seemed strange to me that she should have had the feelings she did towards Sally, and Sally being a peculiar, high-spirited person, while currently disapproving of her daughter's spending so much time with her history teacher. I also found really compelling the way she describes her feelings towards Sally: "The strange thing, on looking back, was the purity, the integrity, of her feeling for Sally. It was not like one's feeling for a man. It was completely disinterested, and besides, it had a quality which could only exist between women, between women just grown up." This to me was one of the redeeming qualities of Clarissa, this selfless love, and reminded me of the characteristic of the New Woman to form such bonds with other women.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Sally is a very critical part to Clarissa's character because Clarissa says she felt very different with Sally than she did with her male partners. I think it represents many facets of not only Clarissa, but all people. I interpreted this lesbian relationship to demonstrate (1) humans may not be monogamous and (2) female/female relationships are more important than male/female relationships.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.