Like many others I found it the passages interesting that talked about Anna’s hatred of being white and her want to be black. On page 72 I found this passage to be very interesting, “…and that I would never be able to explain to her that I hated being white. Being white and getting like Hester, and all the things you get –old and sad and everything.” This really shows how much Anna really hates being white, but I was confused as to why she could never tell Francine this? I feel like Anna has a real struggle with her identity in this book, she doesn’t know what she sexually wants and what she struggles with her racial identity as well. I am kind of just confused by her confusion of herself.
I agree with this post because her confusion of who she is and what she wants is troubling and confuses me as a reader. It makes me wonder Rhyls purpose of portraying Anna in a confused, somewhat lost manner. I think it shows the reader that Anna goes through a lot, and that she deals with it but still ends up confused. Why do you think the author makes a point to show Anna struggling with her identity, what does it bring to the book?
ReplyDelete