Sunday, March 18, 2012

Clarissa's Party Reminders

Something that reoccurred throughout Clarissa's day was her thoughts around her parties and her need to keep inviting people to them. To be honest, I believe it created a main central event for the entire novel. Even in moments of distress (Peter leaving and Mrs. Kilman acting stand offish), she still feels the need to remind them of her parties. I believe this shows her need to impress and hold her life together. Her parties are what keep her together. From the very beginning of the novel, Clarissa gets flowers and special attire for the party. I believe she thrives from social gatherings and being an asset to the community. When people are at her parties she puts on quite the "happy" persona. She wants her parties to be a success, highly attended, and well spoken of. I believe this may create some tension or the main differences between her and her daughter Elizabeth. Elizabeth dreams of having a career and is under the influence of Mrs. Kilman's desires for her to do something productive. I believe her mother may be more into self pleasing. I am really interested into what others think about this mother/daughter dichotomy. I believe the parties represent a bigger meaning all together. It is where people get together and information is exchanged. It also represents class. People that are able to attend these parties are of a wealthier stature. I wonder what more these parties could signify and why Virginia Woolf chose to include these social affairs in her story.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you compared her party to happiness. I also felt that same way, in that the more people she invited the more comfortable she felt with herself and reputation- putting her relationship with her daughter as risk. Clarissa would have had a better party then care about her daughter's education or future at that point because having the "best" party was all she cared about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you I think that Clarissa inviting people to the party did turn into being one of the central events in the novel. Clarissa was to concerned with her reputation. It was interesting in how Elizabeth thought to go home so should could attend the party that her mother was hosting. This to me felt like she was trying to help her mother image.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.