Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Iron Jawed Angels

I really enjoyed this movie. I loved the juxtaposition of a period piece with contemporary music. One of the most significant scenes for me was when Alice was being interviewed by the prison psychiatrist. He kept trying to get treasonous statements out of her by insisting that President Wilson was the one to blame for her situation. He also tried to gather statements that would paint her as insane. I loved when he went to speak with the President and his henchmen, and he said something like, "when a woman exhibits courage it's read as insanity."I think this is a theme that has been present in almost all of the pieces we have read and discussed in class so far. Whenever one of our women protagonists don't accept their life the way it is and try to change it, they are seen as unstable.

1 comment:

  1. Even to this day women who are passionate about something or live outside of societal norms are considered crazy. I loved how Alice and the rest of the women knew this stereotype and used it to their advantage. They were bold, but also very calculating and calm when need be.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.