Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Iron Jawed Angels

I really enjoyed watching this movie. At first my friend gave me the impression that it was "a really intense feminist movie" and I was a little skeptical at first. However, I really enjoyed the movie and the message it portrayed. One of the things that really stuck out to me was the Senators wife, Emily. I thought that she was a strong character in the movie. In the beginning of the film I already saw her portraying this idea of a "new woman" when she was constantly writing it in her journal. Unfortunately she still hid it from her husband because I am sure he would not have approved of her writing down her own intellectual thoughts. I think that it was good that while she was in jail her husband read her journal and realized that his wife had her own beliefs and things that she felt strongly about. I think that helped him with his decision to come and see her and help support her cause.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, and found Emily particularly interesting. In the first part of the movie I dismissed her as a typical old fashioned woman who did not support their cause, but as the movie progressed, I saw how difficult it was for her to be a part of the cause, and how she fought to do so. I also hated her husband at first, but by the end I thought that he had struggled with these new ideas but in the end loved his wife and supported her doing what she felt was right.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.