This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Wednesday, March 21, 2012
Iron Jawed Angels/Voyage
I was pleasantly surprised by the film. I looked it up online before we watched it and had very low expectations. Whenever I watch films that had sounded similar to this one in a class, I've found them to be incredibly boring and lack appeal. However, this film really interested me. I had no idea the struggles that women went through to get the right to vote. I was extremely surprised by the conditions in the work house, as well as the attitudes harbored by non-supporters. Voyage in the Dark is turning out to be an interesting novel as well. At first, I liked Anna as a character but now that I'm getting farther into the book, I'm starting to be really annoyed by her. She doesn't really seem to know who she is or what she really wants out of life and I guess I can't really blame her for that, but her attitudes and her wishy-washy way of thinking, really bothers me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree. I had really low expectations for this film because my friend made it sound like really intense crazy feminist women. I wasn't sure what to expect from the film but I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it. I also was struck by how the women were treated not only in the work house but also in the jailhouse. It was very difficult for me to watch some of those scenes because of how almost violent they were.
ReplyDelete