Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mrs. Dolloway- Leah Short

Upon reading our first assigned section, I found when Mrs. Dolloway was telling us about Sally to be of most interest and was an excerpt that engaged gender and sexuality in an interesting way. Mrs. Dolloway describes her feelings towards Sally as feelings of love, and goes on to explain their relationship as something she valued. After she goes into detail of the night of their kiss and her feelings towards Sally she seems to almost talk herself out of loving Sally and questions and discusses love and what it truly means to love. "It was not like one's feeling for a man" (p. 34). I found this to be very intriguing that she categorizes certain feelings of love differently based on gender. I find it interesting, especially because gender and sexuality is something very much talked about today, that she is contrasting different love with genders.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked that you noted the tie to gender because that statement also intrigued me. I find the reason for this categorization of different loves between genders to be greatly influenced by the time period this book is told in because it was not socially acceptable to have feelings of love for the same gender so I am taking a guess that people probably made this distinction for that reason of uncertainty regarding different types of love.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.