Monday, March 26, 2012

Voyage in the Dark part 2

Something I noticed throughout the reading was Anna's want to be black rather than white.  Hester says, " I tried to teach you to talk like a lady and behave like a lady and not like a nigger and of course I couldn't do it. Impossible to get you away from the servants. That awful sing-song voice you had! Exactly like a nigger you talked- and still do" (Rhys 65). Later, Anna says, "...I hated being white" (Rhys 72). I wonder the reasoning for why she wants to be black, is it just because she was so fond of Francine?  I am also trying to figure out if this desire has something to do with the way she gives herself away sexually. She has this internal struggle of what she wants and what she doesn't. She gives herself up to a white male dominant figure, similar to a slave owner? At one point while engaging in sexual acts she thinks, "Maillotte Boyd, age 18. Maillotte Boyd, age 18... But I like it like this. I don't want it any other way but this" (Rhys 56). I think Maillotte Boyd is a slave girl, so I find it interesting that this is her thought process through the whole thing. However when she says "I like it like this. I don't want it any other way but this," I think that's her internal struggle becoming present. Again, I'm still trying to figure out Anna's desires and purposes for doing and wanting what she does, but I believe a big influence on her sexual acts has to do with her want of being black, whether it's consciously or subconsciously.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your statement. Though i must add that Anna seems to adjust to the actions of others without much thought, and i think this is attributed to her desire to fit in.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.