This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Sunday, March 25, 2012
Voyage in the Dark- Kate Ferraro
Throughout the end of Part I and beginning of Part II, I began to feel bad for Anna. She had fallen in love with Walter and had an unsuccessful visit with Hester. To me it seems that Hester and Walter both do not take Anna seriously. Although Hester seems to be beginning to show Anna how much she has done for her, she still seems to be ignoring Anna's feelings. I was extremely surprised that Walter just had Vincent write a letter to Anna breaking things off. This tactic also gave the impression that Walter had little respect for Anna and her feelings. I thought that was heartbreaking for Anna. I thought when Anna told Laurie about Walter it was very powerful stating, "There was a man I was mad about. He got sick of me and chucked me. I wish I were dead. (115)"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I feel really bad for Anna too, but my feelings are a little bit mixed. Mostly I feel bad in that she is very alone and young and doesn't really have genuine support from anyone, like you said how Hester ignores her feelings and Walter doesn't really take her seriously. There's a small part of me though that still sees her as really young and with her first heartbreak and that she needs to eventually get over it and take control of her life.
ReplyDeletei agree with Kate, but i think they don't take her seriously because she comes off as immature. i mean she is young, so that takes part in her maturity level, but just the way she won't let things happen and she basically seems needy when Walter doesn't want her anymore and she begs him to take her in.
ReplyDelete