Monday, March 26, 2012

Voyage in the Dark--Kori Cramer

Anna is a compelling character that draws attention to many facets of the mind of a young, yet emerging adult. She not only struggles with Walter's ability to connect to her, but also her inability to learn the manners of an adult. In multiple sections throughout the book, Anna is asked to leave her apartment or residence because of her unmotivated lifestyle. She also fails to take the proper actions toward meeting the accomodations of her landlord. Though I enjoyed Anna's character, I felt as though she seemed young in her actions, though she expected the respect of a mature and wise adult. She fails to recognize that maturity occurs when hard work is performed and effort is put into every facet of life. Instead of exuding herself as a strong character willing to work for success, she becomes a slug, though expecting complete respect.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you brought up that Anna does not understand that in order to be a strong character and that she can't just except people to respect her. One of the times I thought about this was when she was with Vincent and Germaine who I personally strongly dislike. However, I think it is interesting when she tells them where she met Walter and they all begin to laugh at her and not take her seriously. I think Anna is trying to hard to fit into a society where she does not belong. She is too immature to be with Walter and fails to recognize this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, in the begginning I thought that Anna was this strong and independent girl, but once the novel began to progress I quickly found out she wasn't. Anna reminds me of a typical young teenager, yearning to respected as an adult, but lacks the knowledge, maturity, and will to make the best decisions. Also the fact that when ever she needs money she goes to a man with money, doesn't strike me as someone who is independent.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.