Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Voyage in the Dark-Naja Tatum

I really enjoyed this book. One part that stuck out to me the most is how Anna deals with depression. It seems that alcohol is a way for her to escape into some sort of fantasy world. She seems to think and and worry about a lot through out her day but once she drinks it is as if all is ok for the moment. She also goes through traumatic events but seems to have no emotional connections to the things she goes through, especially the abortion, did anyone else agree? I also stated in class that I though Anna was an independent women but as the book came to a close, I don't think Anna is very independent, especially in regards to money. Anytime she needs money is at the foot of a man who she usually has to sleep with, this is not the definition of independent to me.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. The alcohol to me was a big source of Anna's dependence, as well. I feel like she made so many decisions under the influence of alcohol, which had huge effects on her life. I'd also say she was extremely dependent on men, by taking their money for physical relationships with them and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you in both the sense of Anna's dependence on alcohol and also her not being as independent as I thought during the beginning portion of the book. In order for her to be happy she had to turn to alcohol, where in the end it did not help with anything instead it just hindered it. It disconnected her from "real life" and emotions. I think this then tied into her dependence on men for money, and selling herself for it. To me, alcohol was the root of Anna's problems.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.