Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Voyage In the Dark-The Title

Upon finishing the book, I'm intrigued by the significance of the title. To me, it represents everything that is unknown to her and the incredibly long and tumultuous journey she takes through that unknown. I think England also signifies this. She mentions how dark it is, how cold, how all of the towns look the same (therefore she is unable to differentiate one from the other, so they remain mysterious). England is not her home, England is foreign, literally dark. She's making her way through her life and through an unknown place blindly, without guidance, without being able to follow someone's footsteps. She's literally charting her own course. The title is very representative of these things to me.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your comparison of the title to her journey through the unknown world of England. I agree that without any set precedent, Anna had to forge her own way through life, making her own mistakes and choosing which ones to learn from and which ones to repeat. I think this is reminiscent of the changing times, with women who were given new liberties and who did not know how to handle them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you compared the ending to England because whenever I read A novel I always try to understand some understanding of what does the title of the book have with actual story..I did think of the title in some similar ways as yours

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea--the fact that Anna was fumbling through things she didn't know or understand. I also liked that you pointed out that she had no guide--perhaps if she had, things would not have taken such a turn for her so early.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.