Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Accents in "Bunner Sisters"

What I found interesting in this novel is the accents. The story is set in New York, but I can't help but hear the dialog between Ann Eliza and Evelina with a southern accent. For example, when the sisters are arguing about how much the clock cost and why she did not but a new pair of shoes, Ann Eliza says, "Well, and s'posin' I didn't want 'em [the shoes] - what then? I've patched up the old ones as good as new - and I do declare, Evelina Bunner, if you ask me another question you'll go and spoil all my pleasure" (Wharton 278). They way that she contracts "s'posin'" and the phrase "I do declare" just don't sound like something a New Yorker would say but maybe I'm missing something, or just reading too much into it (278). Also, I was perplexed by Mr. Ramy's accent. I understand that he is German, so he should have an accent, but I feel like it adds to something about his character that I do not understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.