Monday, February 20, 2012

A White Night

This was a very intriguing story. I was left with more questions than insights.  I thought it was very interesting that this place was so isolated and that even when they went to the authorities there was nothing they could do about it. I can understand that the main characters would not interfere with the ceremony that was going on but I was in awe at the fact that they just stayed their to watch. Why would they not take the opportunity while these people were distracted to leave? Especially since the narrators sister was in near hysterics. Another question I had was if one of these monks knew that the three main characters were trapped in the room. It seemed odd to me that the room would be unlocked until they entered and stayed that way until the ceremony began in the dark. Did these people want their ceremony to be witnessed? Was this some sort of show they were putting on making an example of this woman?

1 comment:

  1. I was also very confused on some parts of this story. I agree with you, while I was reading it I kept wondering why they watched the ceremony being performed. I am assuming it is probably such a difficult site to turn your eyes away from. However, then I also wonder why none of them bothered to save this women. I understand it better since we talked about it in class. I don't necessarily think that they wanted anyone to witness it but I think that it must have been something so normal and ritual to them that they were in a deep mindset. I had a hard time understanding why no one, not even the monks reacted to the woman screaming. They weren't phased by it at all. It seemed like they were almost possessed to me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.