This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Sunday, February 19, 2012
A White Night--Molly Dawson
To be completely honest, I had an incredibly hard time following this story. I'm still not entirely sure what is going on, so this post, might be a little scattered. Essentially, I think the story is about some travelers who come upon a monastery or a church. They inadvertently end up watching a ceremony in which a woman is put to death. She has obviously committed some sort of sin for which she must be punished. The oddest part to me is how they just watch as she is tortured and do not do anything to intervene. I realize that they were not supposed to be there and they didn't know the full extent to what was going on but still, I think I would have a hard time, idly standing by watching someone be purposely hurt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really had difficulties in understaing this story also. I think we have similar thoughts about the part where people just watch and she is sacrified.
ReplyDelete