This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Monday, February 20, 2012
A White Night - Kate Ferraro
I found the short story somewhat confusing, but understood the woman in white to represent women. The image of the woman in white as standing out among the monks and priests struck me. I could not figure out why she was being sacrificed. The dramatic scene was powerful and sad because it begins to explain that"she was no longer in the hands of men,"(129) "finally in full possession of herself,"(129) and then she is transformed and "robbed by two monks" (131). The sacrifice was a horrible experience according to the narrator. I personally do not understand the significance of the sacrifice and was especially sickened it happened within a church while bystanders watched.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After our classroom discussion, I also really got a lot out of the representation of white and purity. However, I know believe this was a small symbol among many. In terms of her being sacrificed, Dr. Renzi really got me thinking. Maybe she was the pure symbol being sacrificed. She didn't necessarily do something wrong. I believe the author doesn't want her sacrifice to be known. The reasoning is a secret. I left class wondering if Cameron was truthful or not and still have yet to decide.
ReplyDelete