This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Sunday, February 19, 2012
A White Night- Chelsea Estes
To say I completely understood the story, A White Night by Charlotte Mew, would be a lie. I believe it is a story about three people who are traveling, and get locked inside of a church, and witness a ceremony involving a women who has committed a crime, probably adultery. I believe they kill her or bury her alive. The sister of one of the travelers is mad at her brother for not trying to help this women and says to him, "Oh for you it was a spectacle. The woman didn't really count"(Mew 137). Why did the brother not help this women who was obviously being tortured? Why was this women bring punished for the crime of adultery? Would a man receive the same type of punishment for this crime? I tend to think not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I thought about if this would've happened had the roles been reversed...of the woman who is killed was a man, would there have been this huge ceremony for murder? I agree with you, I don't think there would've been anything...I don't even really think the man would've been punished.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both of you. I was also confused by the story and am still not sure if I really understand it still. I also wanted to know why the brother did not help the women being tortured and how adultery was looked at when committed by a man.
ReplyDelete