Sunday, February 26, 2012

"Drug-fiend"

I was initially very suspicious of Mr. Ramy and his intention regarding the Bunner sisters, but I tried to disregard it because of all the nice things he did with them. However, I could not suppress these feelings first when he offered to help invest their money and second when he did not have enough money to travel to Pittsburgh. I assumed he had a gambling problem or was an alcoholic, but never a drug addict. This twist made me recall all of the times he was leeching off of the sisters and helped me understand his proposal to both Evelina and Ann Eliza. Mr. Ramy was a corrupting force in ruining these two very independent and happy "new women." He turned them against one another and then separated them even into eternity. One scene in particular that shows this is when Evelina tells Ann Eliza that she has converted to Roman Catholicism. Mr. Ramy impregnated Evelina and through this act he broke their sisterly bond and caused her, in a way, to choose her "day old" child over her loving sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.