This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
The Bunner Sisters
The centering of The Bunner Sisters around two single sisters living together and running a store filled me with excitement. I guess I'm a sucker for family stories, having four siblings of my own. One of the first things I was curious about and intrigued by was the relationship between the two sisters. On page 284, we learn that Ann Eliza has "long since accepted her own fate", but "had never accepted Evelina's". Wharton writes that "Evelina had been intended by Providence to pine in such a narrow life: in the original plan of things, she had been meant to marry and have a baby, to wear silk on Sundays, and take a leading part in a Church circle. Hitherto opportunity had played her false" (284). It seems as though this is told as Ann Eliza sees it. I feel that she is protective of her younger sister and wants to see her live a pleasurable life, even if she herself must settle. Yet, I wonder what she means by Evelina being intended to live that life and not her. Perhaps she is judging by Evelina's personality, or simply that she wants to provide the best for her little sister.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I would certainly agree that this is written from Ann Eliza's point of view, especially in regard to Mr. Ramy. I would also agree that she wants what is best for her sister, and I think that this is where the conflict is starting to set in-- Ann Eliza does not want her sister to be with Mr. Ramy because she wants to be with him. Thus perhaps causing a bit of inner conflict with her because she has stopped looking out for her sister.
ReplyDeleteAfter our class discussion today, I am eager to see where Ann Eliza's emotions take her. One point I continue to grapple with is Ann Eliza's insistence to have her sister be the center of attention. Had something occurred in their childhood that would spawn such a dramatic attitude?
ReplyDelete