One thing I found interesting so far is the contrast in the two sisters. Ann Eliza seems to be a little more favorable to me. She has shown to be thoughtful, gracious and self-sacrificing, through getting her sister the clock as a gift, glad that they have enough to be comfortable and be out of debt, and at the very end when feels "the chill joy of renunciation" in deciding to allow her sister to take up Mr. Ramey. In contrast Evelina is generally unsatisfied with her life and is disappointed when her "superior aspirations" don't come to fruition.
I also noted that Evelina's present is a clock. I don't think I can say anything yet as to whether it has any significance, but perhaps it will connect with something later in the story. Right now I could speculate that maybe it has something to do with the passage of time and getting older and losing opportunities.
Ann Eliza's attitude towards life is showing a shift, where she is suddenly wanting more experiences and exciting things in her life. She is suddenly unsatisfied and what she was once grateful for was annoyingly inadequate. The dramatic aspect of this shift I think is illustrated at the end of chapter IV when Ann Eliza noticed of her sister escorting out Mr. Ramey "that the coqettish tilt of her head regrettably emphasized the weakness of her receding chin. It was the first time that Ann Eliza had ever seen a flaw in her sister's beauty..."
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.