Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Ms. Grief- Minori Wisti

One part of this short story I noticed was in comparing the way the two writers in the story wrote. Ms. Grief was abundant in force and originality; at the end, this is interestingly related to power: "She, with the greater power, failed- I, with the less, succeeded." I think that maybe the writing these authors did is a device used to relate to the issues of intellectual equality between genders. Ms. Grief had better ideas but failed to find a publisher because of technical errors, plot gaps, etc. The narrator, on the other hand, didn't have as good of ideas but followed all the rules to smooth reading and comprehension and was well-praised. I think this could relate to the idea of nonacceptance due to nonconformity. Ms. Grief was a kind of new woman in her pursuit of authorial success and unconventional independent thought; the author was repulsed by her lack of restraint. Meanwhile Isabel Abercrombie was more well-liked by the author for being "bounded on all sides, like a violet in a garden bed."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.