This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Sunday, February 19, 2012
"A White Night"
There was one line in particular that captured my interest in, "The White Night." After author Charlotte Mew introduced the character of the woman in white, she said, "She wasn't altogether real, she didn't altogether live, and yet her presence there was the supreme reality of the unreal scene, and lent to it, at least as I was viewing it, its only element of life." I found this quote to be particularly significant because of the meaning I identify with its illusion towards the meaning of, perhaps, all woman in general. It's clear that author Mew is using this story as an allegory for the silence and conformity of women. She's shown throughout the story as an object, one whose fate she, herself, leaves in the hands of men, even sacrificing her own life in doing so. She does not object when they kill her with the stone, and not even during her burial, which I perceived through the text that she was buried alive. This quote specifically shows that objectification of women, though their importance in life. Lastly, I was intrigued by the authors statement, "After all, what one is pleased to call reality is merely the intensity of one's illusion." Did anyone see the relationship between this and the text, or any other texts that we've read thus far?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I found it interesting that she is shown as an object in this story and leaves her fate with men. I would like to know how she really felt when she was sacrificed
ReplyDelete