This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Sunday, February 26, 2012
THe Bunner Sisters
On pg. 324, Ann Eliza compares the pain of losing her sister because of her marriage to Mr. Ramy to the pain mothers experience when they lose their daughters to marriage. However, Ann Eliza seems to pity herself because mothers "had their own chance first," whereas Ann Eliza did not have her chance to experience the joys of marriage. However, just days earlier, Mr. Ramy gave Ann Eliza the opportunity to experience marriage. But, because Ann Eliza did not view herself as the marrying type, she turned him down, even though she had been interested since she first met him. I believe that this speaks to Ann Eliza's personality. She so desperately wants to be happy, but she will not let herself. So, in turn, Ann Eliza pities herself and the life that she built for herself, making her a very frustrating main character.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I do believe Ann Eliza pities herself a lot too. I have gotta to the point where as I am not enjoying her character because she seem so depressing all the time I feel as if she wants for people to have a pity for her.
ReplyDelete