Monday, February 6, 2012

The Country of the Pointed Firs (Part 2)---Kori Cramer

After reading through the remainder of the novel, I found many aspects of plot, interest, and character development arise. Though much of this was left untouched in the first half of the book, the second half compensated for the initial loss. I found Elijah Tilley to be an exquisite character, especially in his interactions with the narrator. There was one particular line on page 118 that writes, " A man's house is really but his larger body, and expresses in a way his nature and character." I found this line to not only hold meaning into the character of Elijah, but also into the character of modern day farmers. As a product of a farming family, there is always a saying that goes around, "Build your barn before the house, otherwise, by the time you go to build the barn, your wife will have spent all your money." When I heard this portion of the book, my mind immediately reverberated back to this theory. In reality, the words of Jewett hold true; the investment one puts into their home, barn, and land all resemble that of one's character. This is portrayed in Elijah's tedious and minuscule work in his home to further convey the love he has for his wife. I believe that to some degree Mrs. Todd also carries on this message as she packs up all of the narrator's belongings and leaves, hoping to forego the pain of a friend and the constant reminder of her departure beckoning within the empty room. Further along in the book, on page 129, there is a line that wraps this whole idea up, "So we die before our own eyes; so we see some chapters of our lives come to their natural end." I found this statement to include not only the first line, but also encompass the ideas of a life. As one's life is demonstrated through their property, they also see a glimpse of their lives come and go as time carries on. As a college student, I had to leave the land I loved and lived and dreamed upon to come to school. In a way, I say a chapter of my life come to a natural end. Though I would love to bring my land, which is where my heart truly is, with me wherever I go, I have come to realize that some things must come to an end. This is the message the story tells me. Though Elijah cannot seem to let go of any part of his wife's life, he nevertheless has had to allow some things to end, just as Mrs. Todd did in the departure of her dear friend, the narrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.