Monday, February 27, 2012

The Bunner Sisters - Parzyck

I was very confused with the proposal between Ann Eliza and Mr. Ramy and how it all panned out. First of all, I understand Ann Eliza's reaction and not wanting to marry and I was thinking it was because of Evelina, but as I continued to read on it sort of seemed like she had no feelings for him in the first place, like it was a competition for who could win him between her and her sister. Also Mr. Ramy's decision really confused me, he said he liked Ann Eliza but then goes and asks Evelina to marry after he is refused, " I always thought it was Evelina-always. And so did everybody else," "Well you was all mistaken," which makes it seem like he just wants to marry to marry. Did Ann Eliza not want to marry because of her sister or because she told herself so many times she wasn't marriage material, or was it because she didn't really love him?

3 comments:

  1. I also pondered this question throughout this reading. One quote I highlighted is "It struck her as dull, and even slightly absurd, of Evelina not to know at last they were equals." I believe that the satisfaction is really demonstrated here. I was surprised by this quote. Ann Eliza always talked about her sister as the "marriage material" , but when given the opportunity she is not interested she is solely happy to be on equal level to her sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is very interesting how the story played out. I feel that Ramy was the ultimate manipulator and he knew what emotions to play on to get one of the sisters. I think he went after Evelina in the end because she seemed to be the more naive sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found it very strange that Ramy decided to propose to both sisters. When he first started coming to the sisters’ house, I wondered why he chose to spend time with both Ann Eliza and Evelina. He invited both girls whenever he suggested an activity. It almost seemed like he was looking for someone to date and eventually marry, but didn’t care which sister it was. The two locations he proposed in were also interesting. Since the first proposal to Ann Eliza took place in the store, he did not have to worry about anyone finding out about it. This way, he could still propose to Evelina without her getting upset about being his second choice. The public location of his second proposal might have been a way to put pressure on Evelina to say yes.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.