Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Bunner Sisters (V-IX) -Kate Ferraro

As much as I expected Mr. Ramy to visit the sisters more frequently, I never expected Mr. Ramy to ask Ann Eliza to marry him. Ever since Evelina met Mr. Ramy, and he started coming around, I thought he was attracted to her since he always gave Evelina attention. I was even more surprised when Ann Eliza admitted she "never thought of marrying (315)" and declined his offer hoping, "this should not make any difference between us" (316). I could not believe after her obsession with Mr. Ramy that she would not marry him having the chance. After denying his marriage proposal, I figured Mr. Ramy would not continue coming every Sunday, or to ask Evelina to marry him. I found it interesting how the clock was continually described as ticking in the background throughout. After Ann Eliza completely lost touch with Evelina, I am curious to see what happens in the ending chapters. I am hoping Ann Eliza and Evelina will be reunited, and she comes back from St. Louis to New York.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I assumed that Mr. Ramy would come and visit the sisters more frequently and I wondered how it would affect his relationship with Ann Eliza. I was taken by surprise as well when he proposed to her first. I found it interesting that he did not seem to take an interest in her but still desired to marry her. The way he described it, it almost seemed to me that he wanted to marry her so that she could take care of him. He seemed to have made this assumption because she is the elder sister and she does tend to the shop quite a bit more than Evelina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also surprised that he proposed to Ann Eliza, but the more I thought about it she was the quiet, agreeable sister. She was always looking after Evelina and stayed put in their shop. Mr. Ramy, being an addict, may have picked up on this and thought she was more gullible and willing to provide him with the money, freedom, and care he needed in order to live out his addiction.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.