This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Monday, February 13, 2012
Miss Grief - Meagan Niles
As I read this short story, I was reminded of the discussion we had about the “new woman” on the first day of class. We talked about all the ways that women were disadvantaged throughout history and how this eventually leads to several movements. In this story, Miss Grief is disadvantaged because she is a woman. On page 176, the narrator sees Miss Grief for the first time after reading her story and states, “I felt as if I ought to go down on my knees before her, and entreat her to take her proper place of supremacy at once. But there! One does not go down on one’s knees, combustively, as it were, before a woman over fifty, plain in feature, thin, dejected, and ill dressed.” This quote highlights the fact that even if women deserved it, they were not given the respect or praise that a man would receive, especially if they are old and “plain” looking. A second quote that also illustrates this fact is stated by Miss Grief as she is talking to the narrator on her death bed on page 189. She states, “Did you wonder why I came to you? It was the contrast. You were young – strong – rich – praised – loved – successful: all that I was not, I wanted to look at you – and imagine how it would feel. You had success – but I had the greater power. Tell me, did I not have it?” The narrator agreed with Miss Grief. However, it did not change the fact that she was very poor and did not have a good life. It seemed that her stories were overlooked simply because she was a woman.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like how you compared this short story to the first day of class. It is truly amazing how overlooked women were back then, especially considering the talent many women possessed. I liked the second quote you cited in your blog post. To me, it seems as if she is sticking up for herself and stating that although you may have a lot of wealth and power and success, and even thought she was poor, she was just as good, if not better than them. Although Miss. Grief's work never got published and was hidden form the world, the narrator has to live with the guilt of not letting the world know what a great writer and woman Miss Grief truly was.
ReplyDelete