Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A New England Nun


"A little yellow canary that had been asleep in his green cage at the south window woke up and fluttered wildly, beating his little yellow wings against the wires. He always did so when Joe Dagget came into the room"

I found this quote interesting because it is as though the carnary is trying so hard to get out and away from the man. Both the animals in the story are caged or chained as Louisa is, and the dog is chained for just as long. The dog is chained because he is seen as a beast and it is a method of control. I think this can stretch to Louisa also. Joe is controlling what she can do even though they are so far apart.
I found it horrible, though unfortunately truthful, that Joe expected her to stay true for 14 years, and she did, and then he goes on to cheat on her. He wasn't going to go back on his word, but still I was proud of Louisa at the end because she broke free from the chain as she wanted and realized her independence in a very classy way. She didn't make a fuss about it or commit suicide or anything; she was simply an independent woman who seemed happy enough to be on her own. A nun is one who has vowed a life of solitude by choice, so Louisa chooses her path; however, she is uncloistered, which I took to mean that she is not completely confined, but she is alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.