This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
The Bunner Sisters
In my first few chapters of Bunner Sisters I find myself really nto the reading. Similar to the response of others, I really am enjoying this read! I believe reading about the relationships of family will be interesting. Also, we have yet to read about sister dynamic. As a sister, I found myself relating and realizing that sister relationships are always dynamic. We saw Family Dynamics in "The Country of Pointed Firs", but not as much as I see this novel developing. I found myself really interested in the setting. I am intrigued by the delicate shop and the excitement of the streets. Each transition describes extremely rich scenes I really visualized the butcher shop, streets, shop, etc. I am confused by Ann Eliza's character. I currently find her as timid and reserved. However, the biggest thing I want to know about is the clock! What is this clock representational? Obviously, it represents time and the significance of our short time on life... but I know there has to be a bigger meaning for how much this clock means to her. Maybe the clock was introduced to suggest the importance of Mr Ramy. I am not sure if the significance goes beyond Ann Eliza meeting Mr. Ramy. Ann Eliza was at the butcher shop anxiously awaiting his presence. She has a fondness for him. On page 283, Wharton shares "Even to her simple judgment the vanity of her hopes was plain, and in the clear light that disappointment turns upon our actions she wondered how she could been foolish enough to suppose that, even if Mr. Ramy did go to that particular maret, he would hit on the same day and hour as herself." Ann Eliza has dreams of him and I don't know if she understands as to why. There is so much fixation on the clock and what to do (page 286). She obviously has a strong liking for him, I am just not sure how much more this is going to develop. More than anything, I am looking forward to reading more about the sister dynamic of Ann Eliza and Evelina.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also can't wait to read about the sister dynamics, as I'm also a sister. I think a common theme throughout women's literature of this time is sisterhood, but I believe this is the first reading which involves an actual sister relationship rather than just a friendship between two girls. I also mentioned in my post how I look forward to comparing the relationship of the sisters in that time to modern day and how the situation would vary in each time period.
ReplyDelete