Tuesday, February 7, 2012

An Uncloistered Nun

I actually really enjoyed reading this short story. Although it was a sad ending, I liked that it ended with Louisa realizing her independence. One of the things that really stuck out to me was this "uncloistered nun." I was unsure of this definition and actually had to look it up in the dictionary. It said that uncloistered meant "to set free, to liberate." When I read this it made much more sense. I think it is interesting that Louisa looked at herself in that way. She was a "nun" for so long because she was waiting for her fiance to return to her. She was unable to have relations with another man and it almost seemed like she was stuck in her house like in a convent. I find it ironic that she makes it sound like being set free from a man is almost how a nun would feel as if she were in a sense, released back into the world. When I think about this, I think of how sometimes women were considered mens property and now that Louisa didn't have a promise to a man she was no longer captive. She shows that women can be independent and don't need men to support them necessarily.

2 comments:

  1. I also really enjoyed this short story. Its interesting that you titled your blog this post because I immediately researched this term following my reading. I really liked that the author chose the phrase nun even though she wasn't technically a nun. What I got from uncloistered is to let free from confinement. Louisa was no longer confined in this marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for defining "uncloistered" in more detail. I found myself questioning its meaning as well and once looking it up I also realized the true significance it played with the term nun following. Your comparison of Louisa being a nun trapped in her own home was not something I considered, yet it's interesting since a nun usually has a more positive religious connotation and Louisa's experience was a bit more negative.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.