Friday, February 10, 2012

Creatures

One of the things that really stuck out to me was the relationship between Lady Tal and Jervase Marion. I found it very interesting the way that the characters in this story talked about Lady Tal. I thought it was very interesting how they used the word "creature" when referring to other people. However, to me it almost seem dehumanizing. Especially in reference to Lady Tal. The description given for Lady Tal was "very tall, straight, strong built" (pg 198). This description gave me an idea of a woman who was very manly. She was tall, and not curvy like women are normally described to be, and she is also strong built. I was really taken aback by the use of the word "creature." I had a hard time picturing the characters without thinking of weird creatures. I found it interesting how Marion seemed to really dislike Lady Tal, and then it almost seems he began to enjoy her company and like her because they started referring to her as beautiful and handsome.

4 comments:

  1. I agree the word "creature" through me off. I was confused at first when the short story continued to use the term "creature". When looking up the word "Creature" I was suprised on what was shown on dictionary.com. The first definition of creature is "an animal, especially a nonhuman". When I kept reading through the different definitions I saw "person; human being" and "a person whose position or fortune is owned to someone or something and who continues under the control or influence of that person or thing" (Dictionary.com). These second and third definitions surprised me because I personally have never considered a human to be a creature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I thought the relationship between Lady Tal and Marion was really interesting as well. I also felt the same way about how their relationship seemed to grow and change as the story continued, leading me to believe that they may have developed feelings for one another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found the use of creature to be an interesting use for this story. When it first came up on page 199 I at first thought maybe she is talking about an animal but then it continued to be used to talk about humans. Melissa I think that is interesting that the definition means not human or animal but as you continued to look it meant someone who is under control and influence of that person which would relate to women being held down to men.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.