Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lady Tal- Kate Ferraro

I thought the relationship between Lady Tal and Jervase Marion was the most interesting aspect of Veronon Lee's story. It struck me when Marion described the vows he had made when planning to rest in in Venice because Lady Tal caused him to break all of them. Marion could not believe he was actually reading the manuscript for her novel, when normally he "fled  from manuscripts as from the plague" (209). Although he described Lady Tal as an unappealing women, continually expressing his dislike for her, I got the impression he actually did have some kind of feelings for her. I also couldn't decide if she felt the same way, or if it was "just for the novel" (235). In the end when Marion explains his next novel will be about an older man interested in a certain young lady, making a fool of himself, I couldn't help to think that he was talking about himself. Then when Lady Tal expressed her interest in writing another novel with Marion, I sensed her feelings towards him in return. After returning to the "drawing room" in the ending scene, I got the impression that they will indeed construct another novel together.

1 comment:

  1. their relationship kind of reminded me of Gatsby and Nick, the neighbor sort of has no vested interest but watches objectively with intense interest.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.