This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Sunday, February 12, 2012
Lady Tal- Stevenson
One thing that really stuck out to me during this short story was Lady Atlanta's lack of independence in herself. "I'm not an independent women; all my husbands relations are perperually ready to pull me to pieces on account of his money!" (pg. 230) Throughout the short story I personally feel that she is finding her own independence through revising her written work with the help of Marion. Marion helps break down Lady Tal's work so she can see the characters and text differently. Lady Tal spends much time with Marion to alter her work and begins feeling like she is turning into "another women" (pg. 225). This idea of literature and art helping Lady Tal view herself differently makes a significant connection to the "new woman". The "new women" in most of our novels and readings in class turn to literature or art to help represent there feelings and emotions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree a lot with what you said. I think at first Lady Tal is very dependent on her husband due to the position he put her in. I think it is very interesting the way you look at her relationship with Marion as her becoming independent through her writing. I agree, I think it relates a lot to the "new woman" we have talked about and how many of these women began to write to express their emotions.
ReplyDelete