This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Tuesday, February 7, 2012
A New England Nun
I found the premise of "A New England Nun" to be extremely strange. What really struck me was the fact that Luisa and Joe became engaged and then he went half-way around the world for 14 YEARS! With the model of the typical women we have been talking about I don't see it being normal that she is left behind for that long after the promise of marriage. I see this as being an atypical relationship from the start. With their limited correspondence I feel like their engagement gave Luisa the status as a typical woman while truthfully being independent. I saw he as a new woman hiding behind the societal norms by being engaged without having the burden of marraige and children. You can see her fight with reality when she speaks about the wedding still seeming like a far off event. Over time she grew to like being alone and did not want to leave her space to be controlled by another which would inevitably come with marriage. However, while she was strong on the inside she did not express this until the end. She finally expresses the she wants to continue to be alone because, after all that's what she's already been doing. She doesn't need a man in her life to feel happy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I thought the time lapse was also strange, but I also think it was a significant factor in Louisa becoming independent. I think Louisa was so obsessed with other things in her life besides Joe because his business adventure gave her time to grow accustomed to time on her own. Oppositely, I wish Louisa would have gone out and found another partner (if she desired), or figured out what it was that she really wanted instead of someone (or in this case, two other people) determining it for her.
ReplyDelete