I originally thought Lutie and Jones would have little connection. I thought Jones would simply be a pedophile character who obsessed over Lutie while Lutie with on with her life. But after reading this section, my perception of their relationship significantly changed. Lutie's dream about Jones and the animals especially seems to realize the strangeness of their relationship. I also thought Lutie's dream posited her as a sexual object within the street. My question is how does Jones create Lutie as an object? Jones in some ways seems like Lutie's foil.
The other part I thought was interesting about the segment we read (which we talked a little bit about last week) what how "the street" is an entity in itself. It shapes/dehumanizes those who live in/on it. It seems that this is now happening slowly to Lutie.
Your last question is really interesting. We talked about naturalism and how your environment determines your social character. Does becoming apart of a new social environment change your already determined character? (i.e. Is Lutie now becoming a product of "the Street."
ReplyDelete