This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
The Street-Naja Tatum
I have really been enjoying this novel. One thing I am particularly interested in is Jones as a character. In the beginning it was a consensus that he was pretty much a creep and a lot of student commented on his animalistic ways. As I think about that in relation to Naturalism and more specifically "your social environment determining your character and fate is very much true in regards to Jones. He has always been locked away in either the hold of a boat, or deep in the cellar, much like a neglected animal left to fiend for himself, which plays out into how he treats others and has inner thoughts within himself. I'm very interested in how this character develops!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree. I have grown to feel sorry for Jones and can see how his creepy behavior can be linked to his years of isolation and lack of proper socialization. Environment can definitely have an impact on a person's behavior, and unless one decides for himself that he can change that aspect, he will most likely engage in activities he does not realize is inappropriate.
ReplyDeleteI felt the same way when I read that he had spent most of his life in isolation. I feel as if this could change someone as well. It would have been interesting to learn a little bit about his character before he spent most of his time on the boat or in the cellar. It makes me wonder if we would see a completely different person.
ReplyDelete