Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Street - Ann Petry

I thought that the scene where Lutie and his son's conversation about black and white people in chapter III is very interesting. When the son asks him why white people want black people to shine shoes, she does not really find an answer. Although she is black, she does not realize why white people are discriminating them.
"Even if it were a shock to look at people whose skins were dark, she had never been able to figure out why people with whiet skins hated people who had dark skins.It must be hate that made them wrap all Negroes up in a neat package labeled 'colored'; a package that called for certain kinds of jobs and a special kind of treatment." (Petry, p. 72) 
It was interesting how she describes black people with a package labeled 'colored.' However, I am not sure if this package is made by white people or black people.

1 comment:

  1. When I read this quote I also was very interested in where this category came from. When I read it, I felt that it was a negative label towards black people. It sounds like white people created this label in order to place all black people in. Listening to the conversations that Mrs. Chandler and her mother or her other friends talked about black people they made it sound like all black people were the same. So by giving them the label "colored" you are ostracizing them in society due to certain stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.