This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Sunday, April 1, 2012
The Street - Chelsea Estes
Before I even started reading this novel, the picture on the front cover struck me to be very interesting. Based on cover, we can see that it is a woman and a young boy, but we do not know anything more. However, when you flip the book over, we can see the same picture, but instead of only half, we can see the whole thing, and based on the text, it can be assumed that it is Lutie and her son Bub possibly standing in front of their new apartment. As the story unfolds and we learn the struggle Lutie is facing, I can't help but relate it back to the Patterson passage, and the hardships and the fight for equality Negro women had to face as being a New Woman. We can see that Lutie faces the struggle as being a single mother and being Negro in this novel. The love she has for her son and what she will do to protect him is admirable. I am interested to see how Lutie will overcome obstacles that she will face later on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am also interested to see what obstacles she encounters later in the novel. But, having read through chapter 4, I am incredibly impressed with the obstacles that she has already overcome. I was most impressed about how she was able to hold her tongue when many of Mrs. Chandler's guest were commenting about how it is unsafe for her to allow such a beautiful black women to work in her home. Not only did these comments surprise me, but the fact that they were said right in front of Lutie was astonishing. Based on how Lutie handled herself in this situation, I am very eager to see how she handles the obstacles placed in her way later in the novel.
ReplyDelete