This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Thursday, April 19, 2012
Motherhood
I was thinking about Bub and how Lutie treats him, and hw the class saw Lutie as a mother. I was quite annoyed the more I got thinking about it. I think we were over critical of her mothering. She tried really hard to make a good life for him, but she just didn't know how. To be present, she needed money, and she didn't have any. and I think she thought that leaving him behind was better for him, and maybe it was, maybe he can get out of the street now. Maybe he'll be adopted by richer parents or something...but then again, maybe not. I still think she did what she thought was best for him, and that's what a parent is supposed to do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I thought that Lutie's actions of leaving were not really congruent with her feelings towards motherhood throughout the book. Although Bub did not seem to be her first thought all the time, she seemed to always think about how her actions would affect Bub. But, Lutie did not seem to be aware of Bub and that her actions might affect him until after she was already on the train. I agree that she was doing what she thought she had to, I was just very surprised that she did not think of him before she got on the train.
ReplyDeleteI definitely see what you mean. She surely made questionable choices as a mother in the end, but perhaps they were what was best for Bub, and that we are supposed to get this from the novel - living on the street doesn't exactly contribute to ease of being a mother.
ReplyDelete