Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Street Chapter 13

In chapter 13, the one reoccurring idea was the lack of money Lutie had to support her and Bub. I was so mad well reading this chapter because I do not think Lutie should have complained about money around Bub. Luties complaining ultimately forced Bub into helping Jones, the super. One night at dinner Lutie burns her arm on the stove when she was trying to light the stove. Lutie yells, "Damn being poor" (325)! Throughout the chapter Bub already feels bad about money and wants to help make money for his mom and him. The following day after Lutie yells about money Bub takes the job that Jones, the super offered him. Bub was going to steal mail out of peoples mailboxes and bringing the mail to Jones. Jones was paying Bub three dollars a week which is what convinced him to help the super. Unfortunately, Lutie pushed her son into turning to the street for money in the long run after yelling at him for turning to the streets to shine shoes.

1 comment:

  1. I really like what you are saying and I agree with all of it. I felt as though she didn't want Bub to work but then she complained in front of him almost making him feel bad about not helping out but then gets mad at him when he tries to shine shoes. I know she wants more out of Bubs life instead of him shining shoes but he was trying to help because he understood how much trouble she was going through.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.