Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Street

I've been thinking a lot about Jones, the super.  After class this past Monday, I've been toying with his circumstances.  What really makes him so creepy?  I know part of it is because he's just a weird, creepy guy.  There really is no denying that.  But someone in class ( I can't remember if it was Dr. Renzi, or a student) brought up the idea of his surroundings making him become a man who cannot be alone.  I thought that was an interesting idea.  What are we except products of our environment?  I think that part Jones' character can be traced to that's just how he is, but what about how he has lived?  If you were alone  in the bowels of buildings day in and day out, I think it would be easy to become starved for human contact.  Jones is a creepy character, but I think it's unfair to just completely write him off as that facet of his character being a choice rather than a product of his surroundings and environment.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Molly and how Jones is a creepy character. I was also surprised upon reading his side of the story and it almost took him out of that animalistic character he was seemingly in and humanized him a little. It was as though I almost felt bad for him because he was lonely. It was as though the loneliness he felt is a community feeling that everyone has felt so it makes him more human. Although the way he is crazed to the point of driving women away.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.